The Town Office has official birth records for children born in Hope or those whose mother lived in Hope at the time of the child's birth. The cost of a certified birth certificate is $15 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy when purchased at the same time. If you call ahead of time (763-4199), we will try to have the copies ready for you when you come in.
On July 12, 2010, a new law (to prevent fraudulent uses of vital records) went into effect. Vital records include birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, and domestic partner registrations. Maine's new law requires a person requesting a copy of a birth record that is less than 75 years old to provide documentation establishing their direct and legitimate interest in the records.
Individuals who may access birth records less than 75 years old include:
- The person named on the record;
- The person's spouse or registered domestic partner;
- The parent(s) named on the record;
- Descendants of the person named on the record;
- Registrant's legal custodian, guardian, or conservator or respective authorized representative (includes attorney, physician, or funeral director); and
- Genealogists who have a Maine CDC issued researcher identification card.
A brief application (see link below) for securing a copy of the vital record must be filled out and presented, along with positive identification such as a driver's license, passport, or other government issued picture identification that clearly shows that the person requesting the record is who they say they are. Identification requirements apply whether the records are requested in person or by mail.
More information on this issue may be found here.